FIFA referee between 1985 and 1988. He retired in 1989.
- Bela Szabo was a footballer, and during his years as referee he was a coach too, for youth teams.
- He wasn't too popular among the players, because he showed many yellow and red cards. The two Belas, Nagy and Szabo (who both were of short height) were the stricktest referees of the 80's.
- Retired in September 1989 after he lost his FIFA badge, there was a misunderstanding with the Referee Association, there were health problems and he didn't pass the fitness test. In his last two games he didn't wear the referee badge.
- From the middle of 90's he was the head of the Budapest Referee Association and for a short time he worked for the Hungarian FA.
- His son, Gergo was a referee as well and reached the second highest level.
Statistics for BELA SZABO
Based on 3 international matches
MATCHES FOR BELA SZABO
|European Cup 1986 - 1987|
|1st round||Austria Wien||Avenir Beggen||1986-10-01||3 - 0||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)|
|European Cup 1985 - 1986|
|1st round||Servette||Linfield||1985-10-02||2 - 1||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)|
|European Cup2 1982 - 1983|
|1st round||Dinamo Tirana||Aberdeen||1982-09-29||0 - 0||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)||0 (0-0)|