Referee Ken Aston bio

Home - Referees - Ken Aston

Intl. since
teacher / headmaster
Matches Bio Did you know? Palmares

World Cup


Headmaster, lieutenat-colonel in the Indian Army, referee and referee instructor Kenneth George Aston took charge of two matches in the 1962 World Cup finals. He died in 2001. 1955-1963: FIFA list 1960-1963

Aston became referee in 1936. During WWII he joined the Indian army and finished the war as a lieutenant-colonel serving on a War Crimes Tribunal in Singapore. He picked up refereeing again in 1946 and became a League referee in 1950 until 1963. FIFA 1959-1963.
With only 3 years as an international referee Aston went to Chile for the 1962 World Cup. He officiated 2 matches, both with the home team. Aston did the European Cup Final in 1960 and the FA Cup final in 1963.

After Aston retired he was appointed to the FIFA referees committee and later chaired it.

Aston was at the FIFA office in 1966 when Bobby Charlton called. Charlton had read in the newspaper that he and his brother Jack had been booked in their World Cup match against Argentina the day before. The Charlton brothers apparently hadn't noticed the referee telling them.
Later that day, sitting in his MG sports car waiting for the traffic lights, Aston came up with the idea to have yellow and red cards.
Aston also introduced the substitute referee, who later became the 4th official, and he came up with the idea of the number board to announce the substitutions (but it was first introduced in the World Cup in 1998.

Battle of Santiago
It probably started with Italian newspapers insulting Chile and Chilean women. Within seconds of the World Cup match between hosts Chile and Italy, a bad foul was committed and the battle began. It was the BBC commentator who coined the phrase "Battle of Santiago". Two Italians were sent-off - Aston had to physically push them off the field - the police entered the field to stop a fight and many really vicious kicks and slaps in the face went unpunished. Aston seemed to be running after the players a lot, having completely lost control, arriving too late to do anything about it.
After receiving a kick, Leonel Sanchez (Chile) left-hooked Mario David (Italy) who later took revenge karate-kicking Leonel in the head. David was sent off, but Leonel wasn't. Pretty bad refereeing to our modern standards.
When after the final whistle another fight broke out and Ken Aston wanted to do something about it, one of his assistants took him by the arm and gently walked him off the field, telling him not to bother.
Have a look.

From our reporter: James Ng